Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Great Expectations.


Sometimes while branding other businesses,
I fail to realize truths about mine.


It's a natural phenomonon that occurs whenever you are too close--to anything. That's exactly why companies like Safeway have paid consultants like myself rediculous amounts of money to take a look at their branding/positioning/perception in the marketplace... even though they have perfectly capable people on the inside.

This morning I realized (or re-realized) a truth. I have been working on a new project for a client that had a tight deadline for production, and the product needed to be shipped next day to NYC for a convention the client was attending. I have used a company from California for nearly 4 years now - and have always had the best of experiences. This time around - nothing. No responses, no tracking numbers... nothing. Last night I received an email from the client that the goods had been received and were perfect. That's great, but I'm still sitting here with that kind of empty feeling you get when your reputation is on the line and it's looking like you're not going to deliver. So I think to myself, "I need to find a new company that's more dependable".

Now that's an interesting thought. After all, the convention starts today - the client received shippment yesterday - all is well. But it is not just about the product, it's about the experience, the path getting there... One of the products I was looking for was confidence that my expectations would be met. Confidence in a seamless process is a key deliverable.

So here was my epiphany. I have made the same mistake. I have created client expectations over a period of time: delivered a project a week early, given more than the bid included, etc., then when I come down to the wire on a deadline - but still deliver - the client is dissapointed/upset. And I think to myself, "What is wrong with this client? I met the deadline!".


Expectation.
I met the deadline, but not the expectation...


So we have to remember to manage expectations, too. Just like the fine folks in CA that have over-delivered for me for 4 years -- it only takes once, and the client may just be looking for alternatives.

No comments: