Friday, June 6, 2008

Yup. I'm Crazy Like That.

Most of the truly crazy things that I have done in my life - scaling buildings, doing flips off bridges into shallow water below, hotwiring and "borrowing" the HC golf carts for joyriding purposes at 3am (I did put them back), climbing out of car windows onto their roofs at expressway speeds--have not (allow me to repeat: NOT) had the endorsement of parents. In fact, hi mom and dad, sorry you had to hear it like this... love you. Remember, I'm past this all now. :)

OK. So like I said, most of the craziness has not had parental endorsement, but this past weekend I did something insane... not only in front of a parent -- but FOR the parent!

Tracy and I went in to Midland (TX) to help her mom settle in to her new house, unpacking and hooking things up. She has a fabulous set of bronze dog sculptures and Tracy and I immediately saw the PERFECT place for them - it was as if it had been built for them.




The only problem is that the dogs are about 4 feet tall, at least 80lbs each, and awkward as all get out... oh, and that perfect place is about 8ft up... and we have a 6ft ladder. If you do the math, that means that to have the feet of the dogs level with the top of the cabinets, I have to be standing on the VERY top of the ladder....



I have to say that I don't know if I have ever pushed myself quite to this physical limit. It was enough just picking them up to carry them, but taking them up a ladder, balancing on the VERY top to rotate them over the cabinets and adjusting balance to set them on their feet and shift the weight to them, was REALLY something. My legs could barely lift the combined weight while going up the ladder and it became more of a "point of no return" principal. When you're half way up the ladder with one, you don't want to come back down. You do--you just don't want to try it.



I have to admit, after doing the first one, I was less enthused about the second. I waited two days, actually. Can't beat the end result though. Wouldn't trade that 20 minutes of my body trembling afterwards for how it turned out!

No comments: