Thursday, August 30, 2007

Painting a Porsche with a Brush...

I had the fortune today of having the opporunity to bid on yet another logo, label, and headstock inlay "design set" for a luthier. For those of you that don't know, I have had the opportunity - the priviledge, really - to brand numerous guitar companies and builders over the last few years. The problem though, is that by the time I got to bidding the job (within the same day), it had been reduced to only the label -- as a well meaning volunteer had "taken care of" the logo for free.

I'm sure that many people would look at this as a loss - but I really don't. I think that if you can't tell the difference between good/great/best and mediocre/bad/terrible, you get what you deserve. That may be harsh, so let's say it this way...you are just as happy as if you had something professional.

I do find it puzzling, though:
Here is my perspective. You put 15 years experience and 400 hours into sculpting 13 peices of Bubinga hardwood, imported from Brazil, into the finest guitar man has ever seen -- then you inkjet print your friend Bob's best attempt at putting three words and a lightening bolt clipart together, spray it with adhesive, and stick it to the inside of your masterpiece. Honestly, if it were me, I think that I'd just hack something guitar shaped out of some poplar, stick that label to it, and put it up for sale.

You see my point:
The only thing that I can think of to draw a parallel is perhaps putting that same 400 hours into a frame-off restoration of my favorite Porsche 356B Speedster, and then painting it (maybe even lavender) with a 4" brush.

No comments: